Volunteers are the key to making FIRST Tech Challenge a successful and exciting program for the students, coaches, community and everyone involved.
Not sure what this is all about – read more here!
Help Recruit Volunteers!
Volunteer Flyer – FTC West Super-Regional, presented by Google (pdf)
Volunteers Get Travel is helping with travel for 2016 FTC West Championship.
Need help? Have questions/confused/not sure what role to sign up for? Feel free to send email to our expert volunteer coordinators, Loridee and Gigi, via the firstname.lastname@example.org email address.
This volunteer page is meant to support the volunteers who make FIRST events possible. Below you will find information and resources that will keep you informed, support your efforts and help you get the most out of your volunteer experience with FIRST.
Invited Teams: We will accept adults affiliated with your team into any volunteer role except Judge or Referee – please encourage them to sign up! We still need many many volunteers to make this a successful, safe and fun event for everyone. We will carefully consider a coach/mentor for a referee role but that will require additional approval and a recommendation from your local FTC partner AND more importantly, you will not be able to referee in the division that your team is competing in.
Requirements and Roles
The West Super-Regional Championship requires a large pool of volunteers with all levels of experience. A technical background is not required. All volunteers must be registered via VIMS before the event – we will not able to support/take walk-in volunteers that have not signed up ahead of time.
All volunteers must be at least 14 years old. The majority of roles require volunteers to be post high school adults. There are a few for younger volunteers – such as field reset, and team runners.
For a description of volunteer roles, see the Volunteer Handbook, specifically pages 11-14.
- How do I sign up to be a volunteer?
Please register in VIMS – Select FTC, California and choose the FTC West Super-Regional Event. Please indicate your preference of position and the dates you are available. Help on navigating VIMS
- Are there materials that I can review before I decide to be a volunteer?
Yes! We encourage volunteers to check out the FIRST Volunteer Handbook and review the FIRST Volunteer Standard of Conduct. Please keep in mind, the Handbook and the Standard of Conduct are for all FIRST programs, not just FTC. You can also check out the FIRST Volunteer page. Also, please remember, volunteers need to show Gracious Professionalism.
- How do I prepare for volunteering at an event?
Depending on your role, you may need to do some pre-event training, which may include reviewing a Training Manual. There are a few roles (Head Referee, Judge Advisor, Lead Robot Inspectors, Field Tech Advisors, etc) that require pre-event training and certification by a test. Other key roles (judges, referees, inspectors, etc.) may require experience and/or pre-event training calls. If you are not sure, just ask. We will let you know if there are specific training requirements for the role that you are assigned.
- What do I need to bring to an event?
Anyone who attends a FIRST event is encouraged to dress comfortably and wear closed-toe-shoes. All volunteers will be given an event t-shirt to wear. In addition, we do encourage volunteers to bring their own pair of safety glasses. If you are helping with load-in / load-out, we recommend long pants, closed toe shoes and bringing work gloves.
- Where can I sign up for lodging?
If you are volunteering for more than 1 day and need hotel accommodations (unfortunately, we are not able to subsidize this). We have rooms reserved. Once you are cleared as a volunteer, information on how to book your hotel room will be provided.
- How do I get to the venue from the airport?
If you are flying into the area to volunteer, please fly into the Oakland International Airport (OAK). There is mass transit (BART) from both San Francisco and Oakland airports to the Oakland City Center / Marriott. [Video on OAK connector] Exit at 12th Street/City Center station]
What types of volunteer roles are needed for the West Super-Regional Championship?
We prefer volunteers that can volunteer for at least a full day or more – but there are roles ranging from a few hours to all day, and from one day to every day.
General Volunteer Roles – no prior experience or pre-event training needed! We will have an on-site orientation meeting for you.
- Event load-in and setup on Wednesday
- Event clean up and load-out on Saturday evening through Monday late morning
- Volunteer registration desk (all days)
- Team check-in desk (Thursday morning for a few hours)
- Field Crew : Queuers/Reset (starting Thursday evening and all day Friday and Saturday)
- Security/Safety Glasses (all day: Thursday – Saturday)
- Concessions (at least 1/2 day commitment between Thursday-Saturday)
- Additional General Volunteers to help out where needed (at least 1/2 day commitment)
Specialized Volunteer Roles – training (either ahead of time or on site) needed
- Emcees / Game Announcers (all day: Friday and Saturday)
- Referees (starting Thursday evening and all day Friday and Saturday)
- Judges (all day: Thursday-Saturday)
- Robot Inspectors (Thursday 10am to 7pm)
- Field Inspectors (Thursday 10am to 7pm)
- Field Technical Advisors (FTA), Control System Advisors (CSA) (all day: Thursday-Saturday)
- Scorekeepers (all day: Friday and Saturday)
- A/V crew (all day: Friday – Sunday)